10 Reasons to Drink Tea
The perceived health benefits of tea are many, so much so that green tea has been on the forefront of all things health, most recently in the west, but for millennia in the east. Green tea, however, is not the only tea that is healthy. ALL teas can contribute to your wellbeing.
Here are 10 reasons to drink tea:
1) Tea contains theanine, which is similar to caffeine in that it is a stimulant, but different in that it provides a calm energy that you can sustain throughout the day. (In comparison, coffee is a quick up and down.)
2) Tea drinking has been used to facilitate meditation for centuries. It allows for greater focus and therefore better concentration, and overall clarity of the mind for long periods of time.
“Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth
revolves slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future.” Thich Nhat Hanh
3) Tea enjoyed at the end of the meal aids digestion, the acidity helping to burn fat and stimulate the digestive tract. Indeed you'll find that keeping a healthy weight is much easier if you make tea drinking—minus sugar and cream so skip the matcha latte—part of your lifestyle on a daily basis.
4) Tea naturally suppresses hunger so you don't overeat. Part of the reason is based on the nutrients in the tea, and the other part is the temperature of the beverage. A warm beverage is soothing and therefore often makes it unnecessary to nibble.
5) Tea is believed to lower bad cholesterol or otherwise maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
6) Tea, white and green especially, boosts the immune system, improves strength of body and mind, facilitating exercise while helping to tone muscles.
7) Tea is full of antioxidants, helping to stop oxidation of healthy cells and free radicals from forming. This is the reason why white and green teas (these are the least processed) are suggested to cancer patients, but there is no need to wait for the worst. Drink it now and start building your immune system to keep away all sorts of diseases.
8) Tea, black in particular, is believed to improve lung health, helping to fight against the exposure to tobacco smoking. Whether we smoke or not, we are all exposed to an environment less than perfect, breathing in all sorts of fumes. Drink tea, breathe better!
10) Tea makes you smile, and is simply delicious, in all of its manifestations. Preparing it with care to get the most out of it is the first step.